1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile in a large skillet over med-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel to absorb some of the drippings. Drain all but one Tablespoon of bacon drippings
3. Add butter to the remaining bacon drippings. Add onion and saut? until tender.
4. Add cream to the pan. Let simmer on low heat for a few minutes, until the cream sauce begins to reduce and thicken. Stir in the reserved bacon and Gouda. It takes some time to melt the Gouda cheese. Taste for seasoning: add salt, pepper or garlic salt to taste.
5. Add the sauce to the reserved pasta and stir until evenly distributed. Serve.