- 2 cups peeled, diced Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 slices Patrick Cudahy? Sweet Apple-Wood Smoked Bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350?F. Cook apples in 3 tablespoons of the butter in a small skillet over medium heat just until softened. Set aside. Line 15 medium muffin cups with paper liners; coat liners with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix shortening with 1/2 cup of the sugar until well combined. Stir in egg and syrup. Stir in reserved apples. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; alternately add to bowl with milk, mixing well after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups filling 2/3 full; top with bacon. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick in center comes out clean.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Brush tops of muffins with remaining 1/4 cup butter; sprinkle sugar mixture over muffins and serve warm.
- *5 slices Patrick Cudahy fully cooked bacon may be substituted.
This Recipe Features
- Lower Sodium Bacon
- Pre-Cooked Bacon Slices